Play is the work of the child. ~ Maria Montessori

A Reflection – A Vision

A Reflection – A Vision

My vision for todays preschool children: my two-minute message.

Children are to be valued, respected and heard throughout all stages of their development.

My vision for today’s preschool child is that their early life learning experiences are sensed in a positive, caring and responsive environment with those people most important to them.

It is in this building of respectful and caring relationships that I would like to see that the child’s learning, developmental and health and well-being needs are being met providing them with the best opportunities for a bright and healthy future.

This two-minute “vision” message that I have shared with a parent would be the same as if I were to be speaking with a government official because this is what I believe to be true. The social emotional needs of child must be met first before any valuable learning can begin. In providing a responsive and caring environment in education we are supporting the child to feel valued and that their experiences and ideas important to us – empowering children to feel confident to learn and build upon their self-esteem. Education should not only be about teaching basic skills it should also. include teaching children how to feel good about themselves and value others.

If I were to engage with a four-year-old on the playground my message to them would be the same but in simpler language.

You are important, you are to be respected, and I am curious to know what you understand about the world and about those who surround you.