Play is the work of the child. ~ Maria Montessori

Program Model and Approaches Summary of Learning

Our group chose the following four childcare program models that we were interested in learning more about:

Sheena – Aboriginal Head Start Program

Juanita – Roots of Empathy Program

Karli – Bank Street Model

Katy – Montessori Program

In reading everyone’s research I was drawn to the difference of theories in each of the early childhood programs.  Although the programs vary in philosophies, I found that each program is dedicated to delivering the highest of quality of education to young children.

In Sheena’s research of the Aboriginal Head Start Program I found the inclusion of family and the recognized importance of spiritual and cultural beliefs in the Head Start Program to be a respectable and valuable approach to early childhood education. The program was built on Aboriginal peoples, values, beliefs, ideas and interests. The recognized importance of family and culture amongst academics, health, nutrition, social and school readiness demonstrates a community of people that are committed to the health and well-being of children having them develop to the best of their potential as their statement suggests, “First Nations, Métis and Inuit people recognize children as their nations’ most valuable resource.”  Secondly, I appreciate the community and other programs involvement that allows the educators the opportunity to evaluate, monitor and improve the quality of the program as needs change.

The program is regulated under the provincial childcare licensing guidelines under the community care and assisted living act and must follow the proper ECE to child ratio.

In reading Juanita’s research of Roots of Empathy, I was completely intrigued as I was not aware of this early childhood program.  I am not surprised to read that it was developed by a Canadian! J  I find their mission statement, “To build caring, peaceful and civil societies through the development of empathy in children and adults” and their vision, “To change the world, child by child,” as being thoughtful and inspirational. Empathy is a crucial skill for young children and adults as it helps us understand how others are feeling so they can react appropriately. The program is designed to raise social and emotional competencies in children and to provide professional development for their educators. Roots of empathy is for elementary school aged children 5 to13 years of age. Seeds of Empathy is practiced childcare centers to ages 3 to 5 years of age. A trained Roots of Empathy Coach guides students to observe the baby’s development and to label the baby’s feelings. In this learning, the baby is the “Teacher” and an instrument which the coach uses to help children identify and reflect on their own feelings and the feelings of others. Families from the community are invited into classrooms which provides and demonstrates a strong relationship of community, family and personal relationships i.e. child and parent. Roots empathy works with the school district and Seeds of Empathy work with ECE’s in childcare under the Community Care Licensing Regulations.

Karli’s Bank Street Model was interesting as well due to my unfamiliarity with the program and its collaborative approach in its philosophy. The “American” developed program was a combination of professionals such as anthropologists,psychologists, educators, social workers and medical professionals to study children’s development.  The goal was to find out what types of environments best supports children’s development, and nourishing children’s potential. Through observations it was discovered that children are explorers more than anything else. The topics that are based on the children’s interests. The program’s emphasis is on the child’s emotional, social, physical and cognitive developmental areas. The classroom is collaborative with the inclusion of family and volunteers in such activities as fundraising, hiring and a family bulletin board. The program is a hands-on and experience-based learning program and values play as an important piece of a child’s learning and development. The program is school based it includes a nursery for pre-kindergarten and moves along to grade eight.  According to Karli’s research there are no Canadian Bank Street Models to date.

In my own research of the Montessori Model it is an approach to learning which emphasizes active learning, independence, cooperation, and learning in harmony with each child’s unique pace of development. It is a multiage classroom ages of 3 to 6 years.    It supports the belief that all children are unique and do not develop at the same time allowing them to skillfully work at their own pace. Involvement of parents in the Montessori program is considered crucial in respect to the children’s learning. Teachers and parents encourage the learning process by serving as the dynamic link between the environment and the child. The learning process is not seen as the simple passing of information from the teacher to the student but as the process “through which the child gains insight about life from daily experiences, whether at school or elsewhere.” Therefore, the “teaching” is a partnership of the “school and the family.” The Preschool Program is regulated under the provincial childcare licensing guidelines under the Community Care and Assisted Living Act and must follow the proper ECE to child ratio.

The models represented in our group had similar qualities such as family and community engagement, respect for the child and their families and are all aiming to inspire young children in the classroom in creating a better tomorrow for all.

In my learning I found the Montessori Model best fits my own values and beliefs.

1. sheenajece

It’s so interesting how everyone has different ideas and beliefs about what model they see fitting best with their own! it really shows that there’s no right answer 🙂 just appreciating how you added that Montessori is your best fit, where I was did not see that program fitting with my own when I saw it in action at the Montessori Minds centre. I loved reading everyone’s different studies! Great teamwork, too 🙂

2. katynic2020

I loved reading everyones different studies as well! Each program delivers their philosophy that is unique to one another but with the same goal in mind the promotion of the health and well being of children and their families and enhancing relationship in positive environments. 🙂